Insurance Commissioner Lara issues alert about immigrant worker’s eligibility for worker’s compensation benefits for COVID-19 exposure or illness. (2020). States News Service. The article depicts a case of California law requiring the payment of workers' compensation benefits to injured workers, regardless of their immigration status. The case discusses how injuries caused by COVID-19 that arise out of and occur in the course of employment are compensable to the same extent as any other compensable injury or disease.
Shippey, I. P. (2019). Pay history and wage discrimination: Can state pay history laws survive present judicial construction of the equal pay act? American Journal of Trial Advocacy, 42(2), 411-447. This article examines the history of the Equal Pay Act and its underlying purposes, the persistent gender pay gap and its possible causes, as well as circuit court case law that has limited the Act’s applicability to payment schemes that tend to create disparities in pay between men and women.
Szymendera, S. D. (2017). Workers' compensation: Overview and issues. Congressional Research Service: Report, 1-32. This article focused on worker's compensation in the United States. The workers' compensation history, legislation, and its elements. The article discusses that while each workers' compensation system is different in each state and operates under its own set of laws, regulations, and legal precedents, there are some common elements to these systems that pertain to the four federal programs of limited jurisdiction.
Human Resources Management Libguide. (2020). Northcentral University Library.
Access the following websites in the Human Resources Management LibGuide for current information on federal laws that govern human resource activities.
• Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act
• Employee Benefits Security Administration
• Employee Retirement Income Security Act
• Office of Disability Employment Policy
• Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs
• Veterans’ Employment & Training Service
• Wage and Hour Division: Compliance Assistance – Wages and Fair Labor Standards
• Wage and Hour Division: Family and Medical Leave Act Employer Guide
• Internal Revenue Service
• U.S. Department of Health & Human Services - About the Affordable Care Act
• U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission