As an Interlibrary Loan user, you may only request one book chapter per book title electronically through the service under Copyright Law. Note that required course textbooks or supplemental books listed in your syllabus are not eligible for Interlibrary Loan.
Before submitting an Interlibrary Loan request for a book chapter, consider the following:
- Compare WorldCat holdings to see if a library near you owns the physical book or resource for checkout. In WorldCat, you can enter the book title in the search box, and on the book summary page, you can enter your zip code or address in the Enter your Location box. A list of libraries owning the resource will display; however, always confirm availability of the resource by contacting the library directly.
- Consider searching for similar book titles available in full-text within the NU Library by accessing the Ebook databases. The Ebook Central database provides access to more than 200,000 books covering diverse subjects.
If you are unable to obtain the full-text of a book, you may place a request for a single chapter through Interlibrary Loan. If available through a lending library, the book chapter will be delivered to you electronically within 5-7 business days. If you need help with identifying which chapter to request, we recommend reviewing the book's table of contents, if available, through Amazon or Google Books.
Follow these steps to request a book chapter through Interlibrary Loan:
- Access the Interlibrary Loan system and login using your NU school email address as your username (Example: F.Lastname1234@o365.ncu.edu) and enter your selected password for interlibrary loan. NOTE: If this is your first time accessing the Interlibrary Loan system, please see this Library FAQ on accessing your account as a first-time user.
- Once you are logged in, click Create Request under the Requested tab.
- Under Create Request, select the Book Chapter Request form and fill out all required information for the resource, including book title, chapter title, author(s)/editor(s), publication year, and page numbers. Click Submit Request at the end of the form to finalize your request.
- You will receive an email confirmation, as well as an SMS/text notification if enabled, that your interlibrary loan request is being processed. Your item request will display as Submitted on your account dashboard.
For more information about Interlibrary Loan, visit the Interlibrary Loan LibGuide.