Here are some examples of when a chi-square test may be appropriate.
- RQ: Does the distribution of eye colors at NU differ from that of the general population?
- H0: The distribution of eye colors at NU does not differ from the general population.
- Ha: The distribution of eye colors at NU is different than expected based on the general population.
- RQ: Does there appear to be a flavor preference for ice cream amongst kindergarten students?
- H0: All ice cream flavors are preferred equally by kindergarten students.
- Ha: There is a significant difference in ice cream preference based on flavor.
Test for Association:
- RQ: Is there an association between gender and color preference?
- H0: Gender and color preference are independent of each other.
- Ha: There is a significant relationship between gender and color preference.
- RQ: Is grade level independent of school attendance?
- H0: There is no association between grade level and school attendance.
- Ha: There is a significant association between grade level and school attendance.